Mermaid

Art Brut

 “Today it is a very interesting day. In history we studied Ancient Greece and Rome. I was very excited about Mythology, specially about Mermaids.

In biology we are studying seas and oceans.

- World ocean covers approximately 70% of the Earth, and it is the primary component of the Earth hydrosphere. - Starts the prof.

The teacher is showing us pictures, short videos and graphics. All of my colleagues are very captivated by all those color and movement. Me too, but a thought about Mermaid hovered over my head. So, I started drawing on a sheet of paper.

- This body of salt water influences climate and weather patterns, the carbon cycle and the water cycle by acting as a huge heat reservoir…

I keep drawing, time to time looking on the whiteboard the material prepared by professor.

-…Since modern recordkeeping in 1955, water’s internal heat increased, this is because oceans absorb 90% of the warming. Most of this energy is stored at the surface, from 0 to 700 meters depth (average depth of oceans is 4000 m). The world’s oceans are running a fever…

I’m thinking about our vacation on the Mediterranean Sea. The water was too warm, not refreshing. I remember my worries about fishes and other dwellers. How do they survive in those conditions? Uncomfortable, stressed, forced to leave their home to look for food.

-…The consequences of this warming are multiple, some of them not even foreseen by the scientific models. Nowadays it is observed that hurricane activity is more frequent and more severe…

My blue pencil travels through the paper surface, reinforcing some lines.

-…Sea levels creep up due the thermal expansion and melting of ice sheets and glaciers…

Then, soon the coastal areas will change, I thought.

- … Changes in oceans health and biochemistry will affect water flows and force ocean organisms climb closer to the surface and migrate to other areas. This will affect and change the fishing activities…

I see it clear… My Mermaid is one of fishery victims. She is barely escaped from a fishing net. Her tail is seriously damaged. She is lying on the sand. The swaying of the waves covers and caress her body, alleviating the pain.

Blue pen strives to beautify this pain, adding more and more decorative elements.

- Prof, what can we do to change that? - The words slip out of my mouth.

- We have to think and decide what we can renounce today to have a tomorrow. And do so.”

Natalia

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Helen _ Хелен

Falsa tristezza_Фальшивая грусть

¡Oh Wagner!